Skip to main content

His Majesty's Hostage - Volume 2 - Chapter 27

Chapter 55

A month later, after being on the run for a month, ZiLi finally arrived in the capital of Chi Xiang as he had wished. His excitement was indescribable, as he felt that he had added another strong layer of protection to his personal safety. Even if Hong Xu was the Emperor and could not control himself, would he have the audacity to boldly come here and take him back?

“Whoa――” The coachman tightened the reins, “My Lord, we have arrived at the residence!” Skillfully he jumped from the carriage, and then reverently opened the curtains.

ZiLi stared wide-eyed at the imposing dwelling with spacious courtyards in front of him, especially at the gold-lined plaque 1 above the main entrance.

“Prince’s Residence?” CunShou read slowly, pointing his finger at the two words.

Catching sight of ZiLi’s displeased face, CunGong quickly tugged on his younger brother’s sleeve to stop him from saying anything else that would add fuel to the fire.

Mo CangJing watched their actions with a hint of confusion, then turned around to find ZiLi standing in his place staring calmly ahead. Mo CangJing asked puzzled, “Big brother ZiLi, what is the matter?”

Please read His Majesty's Hostage Chapter 55 on Project Bezemwagen :-)

“Oh, nothing!” ZiLi said with a forced smile, but his demeanor carried a slight hint of detachment. He just wanted to break away from this body’s hopelessly muddled relationship with the Imperial household, but who would have thought that after escaping from the Emperor, he would now meet a Prince. The sensitivity and shame of the status of a Hostage Prince made ZiLi realize that it was not wise to get involved with any member of the royal family of any country!

Mo CangJing naturally sensed ZiLi’s displeasure, and after a moment of contemplation, he suddenly said sincerely, “If I have upset big brother ZiLi by concealing my identity, then I have really wronged you! When we first met, I only had the intention of getting close to big brother ZiLi, but I was afraid that my identity would drive us apart us, so I had no other choice but to keep it a secret! I am truly sorry! Please, big brother ZiLi, don’t distance yourself from me!”

Mo CangJing’s sincere, earnest and slightly disturbed look made ZiLi blame himself for not being able to tell the good from the bad! A Prince had deigned to become friends with me, helped me escape and took good care of me along the way, and now I am making a long face at him? Besides, didn’t I also conceal my identity and disguise myself to cheat others out of food and drink? Thinking of this, ZiLi could not help but feel full of guilt, especially when he saw Mo CangJing was still anxiously waiting for his answer, which made his guilt even greater.

“Big brother CangJing, I 2 am indebted to you and truly grateful for your care along the way. It is an honor that big brother CangJing is willing to consider me a good friend, yet I have failed to live up to your sincerity! I am truly ungrateful!” ZiLi’s face had turned a little red, as he spoke apologetically with his hands cupped, “Besides― besides, it’s not like I have nothing to hide! My― my current appearance is also a disguise. I hope big brother CangJing will not take offense!”

Please read His Majesty's Hostage Chapter 55 on Project Bezemwagen :-)

Mo CangJing seemed stunned upon hearing his words, then he stepped forward and placed his hands on ZiLi’s hands with a beaming smile on his face, saying, “Big brother ZiLi has spoken too much! Friendship between gentlemen, insipid as water 3 , lies in its sincerity. Since we have already been honest with each other, why should you and I be so courteous to each other?”

ZiLi smiled and nodded his head in agreement.

The concubines and servants of the residence had been waiting respectfully at the doorway the whole time, for the servants had still not been dismissed. When the numerous concubines saw, to their horror, that their family’s Prince was full of tender feelings, pulling along a man with a black beard on his face, chatting and laughing gently, their hearts turned very sour, and their minds became confused.

The inquisitive stares of the bunch of women made ZiLi very uncomfortable, especially when he had changed back to his original appearance and was led by a servant to the main hall for dinner.

After passing through a long hallway, ZiLi grabbed CunShou’s collar in front of him, pulled him towards him and asked bitterly, “Tell me, do I look like a male pet?”

Please read His Majesty's Hostage Chapter 55 on Project Bezemwagen :-)

“Uh― do you want the truth or a lie?” CunShou asked with a straight face.

“Of course I want―― a lie!”

“No, you don’t look like one at all!”

ZiLi lowered his head in defeat, “It’s not my fault that I look like this!”

CunShou patted him on the shoulder in understanding.

Before the three of them reached the main hall, a servant came running up and said respectfully and courteously, “My sincere apologies, Young Lord ZiLi! The Prince had been summoned to the palace by His Majesty and he probably will not be back for a while, so he won’t be able to join the three of you for dinner. The Prince has sent this servant to apologize on his behalf to Young Lord ZiLi and the two young brothers!”

“No harm, no foul. The Prince is too polite!” ZiLi said, waving his hand.

“The Prince also mentioned that if the Young Lord did not wish to dine in the main hall, he can ask the servants to move to a side room.”

“In that case, I’ll have to trouble you!” ZiLi said after a moment of thought.



Author Notes
I wonder what everyone’s opinion is of the character Mo CangJing?

I recently read a very interesting quote――

Confucius said:
My translation of this is definitely wrong, but I tried to make something out of it. This is certainly nothing that has ever been said by Confucius, but this is apparently some joke, which I don’t understand. I think it’s some kind of bad reasoning, kind of like: If you go to school, you’ll die.
This was the original Chinese text:
子曰:打架用砖乎,照脸乎,不宜乱乎;乎不着再乎,乎着往死里乎;乎死即拉倒不用再乎也;不死者乃英雄也!
4 Use a brick in a fight, hit them in the face, don’t hit them at random; if you can’t hit them, you can hit them again; when you hit them, hit them to death; if you hit them to death, they will let go, if they can’t hit you, you’re the winner!

∩_∩Haha~~~

(: The last few chapters may be rather dull, please bear with me, it will be over soon~~∩_∩Haha~ Thank you all for your patience and support!)

Translator Notes
I wonder what the author means by this (╭ರ _⊙)

On another note, I decided to create a Ko-Fi account.
If you like what you read, please consider buying me a Ko-Fi ( ◕▿◕✿ )



Translation Notes
  • Something like this, I think:
  • ZiLi actually uses his name to talk in the third person, but I thought it sounded a little strange.
  • 君子之交 - Jūn zǐ zhī jiāo. - A hedge between keeps friendship green. – An idiom from an ancient Chinese text from the late Warring States period called Zhuangzi, which consists of a collection of several texts. – More information
  • My translation of this is definitely wrong, but I tried to make something out of it. This is certainly nothing that has ever been said by Confucius, but this is apparently some joke, which I don’t understand. I think it’s some kind of bad reasoning, kind of like: If you go to school, you’ll die. This was the original Chinese text: 子曰:打架用砖乎,照脸乎,不宜乱乎;乎不着再乎,乎着往死里乎;乎死即拉倒不用再乎也;不死者乃英雄也!


  • Comments

    Popular posts from this blog